PLEASE NOTE: The optional Early Years Self-Evaluation Form is no longer in use from April 2018, however Ofsted will still expect all childcare providers to self-evaluate and action plan. You may find that working through the sections and example answers in this form will help you to consider various aspects of your service and where there is room for improvement.
Registered in Scotland? CLICK HERE to view our Care Inspectorate Self-Assessment Form – EXAMPLE Answers.
Use these EXAMPLE Self-Evaluation Form Answers to inspire you and give you an idea on the type of information you may wish to include in each section.
Ofsted encourage Early Years Providers to regularly assess and evaluate the service they provide. Part of the criteria for inspection is whether each provider has a rigorous and effective system in place for self-evaluation. Providers should be able to recognise strengths and areas in which they perform well, highlight any changes needed or improvements which could be made, and then plan and carry out these changes to further enhance the quality of their service. Settings which choose not to use the Ofsted Self-Evaluation Form will still be expected to demonstrate to their inspector other ways that they self-evaluate.
The EXAMPLE Answers given in this document cover all the following topics:
- Outdoor Space
- Days & Hours of Operation
- Children Attending & Places Available
- Links with Schools
- Staff & Qualifications
- Special Features
- Recent Training / Qualifications
- Obtaining Views & Service User Participation
- Changes as a result of Parents Views
- Obtaining Children’s Views & Ideas
- Changes as a result of Children’s Views
- Working with Other Professionals & Organisations
- Aims of Service
- Understanding Responsibilities & Meeting Requirements
- Promoting Learning & Development
- Overseeing Educational Programmes
- Equal Opportunities
- Special Educational Needs & Disabilities
- Promoting British Values
- Behaviour Management
- Safeguarding & Child Protection
- Keeping Children Safe in a Safe, Smoke Free, Clean & Tidy Environment
- Minimising the Spread of Infection
- Sharing Information About Accidents & Incidents
- Use, Storage and Administration of Medication
- Working In Partnership & Supporting Transition
- Feedback, Concerns & Complaints
- Service Evaluation
- Performance Management & Professional Development
- Changes Since Last Inspection
- Meeting the Needs of Each Child
- Settling In
- Enabling Environments
- Routines & Activity Planning
- Observation, Assessment & Individual Planning
- 2 Year Progress Check
- EYFS Profile
- Equality & Diversity (Including multicultural resources & promoting equality awareness)
- Forming Appropriate Bonds
- Relationships, Trust & Support & Preparing For Transition
- Promoting Positive Relationships
- Developing Independence
- Meeting Nutritional Needs & Promoting Healthy Lifestyles (Including Allergen Information)
- Safety Awareness
- Attendance Monitoring
- Monitoring & Recording Progress
- Stimulating Excitement & Motivation to Learn
- Support & Encouragement
- Overall Effectiveness
Plus the following topics for providers who work with an assistant or other staff:
- Staff Involvement
- Safe Recruitment Of Staff
- Meeting Children’s Needs/Monitoring Staff Practice/Supervision
- Staff Development & Support
Please Note: The Self-Evaluation Answers given in this document are EXAMPLES and should be used only as guidance to help you with ideas for each section. Please do not copy them! You will need to create your own answers which are unique to your setting and the users of your service.
This document is supplied as a PDF file and is not editable.
This item has been carefully designed to assist childcarers in meeting English Ofsted requirements! Whilst the answers have been created from a childminding perspective, much of the information may also be of interest to nurseries and other early years settings.
You may also find the following resources useful for self-evaluation:
Or…Why not become a MindingKids member? From just £5 per month you can get unlimited access to ALL of MindingKids downloads!
You must log in and be a buyer of this download to submit a review.